Violence Against Women and Girls: Policy briefing
The UK Women’s Budget Group has written a background briefing on the key policy issues impacting Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG).
Key points from the briefing are:
- Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) has multiple and lasting impacts on victims as well as society as whole. It is estimated that up to 3 million women experience domestic violence each year and 450,000 women are victims of sexual violence annually.
- The total costs of VAWG to society are estimated at £40bn annually.
- The government’s VAWG strategy recognises the scale of the problem, but is not backed with sufficient funding for either victims’ services or preventive interventions to reduce the incidence of VAWG in the longer term.
- Government initially committed £80m by the end of the parliament to supporting the VAWG strategy, with an additional £20m announced for domestic violence services in the 2017 Spring Budget.
- WBG calls on the government to put in place ongoing funding for VAWG services that is adequate to meeting needs of victims and allows for investment in preventive measures, such as Sex and Relationships Education in schools.
Download the full briefing here – WBG VAWG Briefing 2017