Latest data on Covid- 19: 19th May 2020
Date Posted: Tuesday 19th May 2020
Figures on support for workers (HM Treasury):
- 8 million jobs have now been furloughed with £11.1 billion claimed so far through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS)
- 2 million Self-employment Income Support (SEISS) claims have been submitted worth £6.1 billion
Figures on new claims to Universal Credit (DWP):
- Since the start of the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, there has been unprecedented levels of demand for Universal Credit.
- Since the beginning of lockdown 2,619,000 individuals have claimed Universal Credit (16 March – 12 May).
- Numbers are still higher than normal business but are now beginning to fall.
Figures on Covid-19 related deaths (ONS):
- 37,375 Covid-19 related deaths by 8 May (England and Wales)
- 9,975 Covid-19 related deaths in care homes by 8 May (England and Wales)
- The Care Quality Commission (CQC) numbers show 9,762 deaths involving Covid-19 in care homes in England in just over a month (notified between 10 April and 15 May)